Re: gnome-hackers is now closed

Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:

> Alan Cox <alan redhat com> writes:
>
> > > I am much more worried about people getting in the habit of posting to
> > > gnome-private with technical issues that should be on gnome-hackers,
> > > than I am about someone accidentally posting something confidential to
> > > gnome-hackers. I strongly suggest that we make gnome-hackers a
> > > publicly archived list right now and start using it immediately.
> >
> > Suggestion: Make gnome-private moderated. The board can appoint 2 or 3
> > moderators who can reject anything no confidential.
>
> This does not work (unless you volunteer to do the job; I did it for three
> days and it was already quite a lot of work despite the fact that almost
> 80% of all posts already went to gnome-private).

I don't think it would be. People were using gnome-hackers following
up on old threads and out of habit. In the stable state, traffic on
gnome-private should be extremely low. However, I think at most an
initial period of moderation would be called for, and then count on
people to move things to g-h that need to be.

> What about the following:
>
> At the end of November, the newly elected board will appoint 2 or 3 people
> who read over all the archives of this month to remove all confidental
> material and then insert it into the open gnome-hackers archive ?

It's hard to judge what was intended to be confidential. I think for
the past several months essentially nothing was posted that was truly
confidential.

> This is much easier than moderating, especially since moderating a list
> requires the moderators to check for admin requests every few hours. It's
> way easier to read over one large file.
>
> And the board can also decide what should happen with the archives of
> October, September, August, ....

I don't think old archives matter at this point.

But I think worrying so much about confidentiality is
wrongheaded. Show me one of these mythical confidential posts that
would be so terrible if it leaked to the public. And better yet show
me one that has not already had an article written based on it by a
KDE supporter - posting to gnome-hackers is effectively public posting
already.

Let's just open gnome-hackers as soon as we roll over the archives.

 - Maciej