Re: gnome-hackers is now closed

Alan Cox <alan redhat com> writes:

> > I am much more worried about people getting in the habit of posting to
> > gnome-private with technical issues that should be on gnome-hackers,
> > than I am about someone accidentally posting something confidential to
> > gnome-hackers. I strongly suggest that we make gnome-hackers a
> > publicly archived list right now and start using it immediately.
>
> Suggestion: Make gnome-private moderated. The board can appoint 2 or 3
> moderators who can reject anything no confidential.

This does not work (unless you volunteer to do the job; I did it for three
days and it was already quite a lot of work despite the fact that almost
80% of all posts already went to gnome-private).

What about the following:

At the end of November, the newly elected board will appoint 2 or 3 people
who read over all the archives of this month to remove all confidental
material and then insert it into the open gnome-hackers archive ?

This is much easier than moderating, especially since moderating a list
requires the moderators to check for admin requests every few hours. It's
way easier to read over one large file.

And the board can also decide what should happen with the archives of
October, September, August, ....

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)