Re: Bugs in Bugzilla

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

I have no sympathy for that. Contact info is essential to a complete
bug report. If you're too much of a privacy zealot to put your proper
email address on a bug report, you are too much of a privacy zealot to
be reporting bugs at all. But maybe spam protection in the addresses
as displayed would be useful.

I'm not going to touch ``privacy zealot'', but:

- There have been cases in the past where bug database info was used to generate a list of addresses for unsolicited mass mailings. ``Of
   course'', gnome.org would never permit that -- hmm, the Eazel IPO
   offer? -- but someone putting their email address into bug-buddy
   has no way of knowing that.  Possible solution: a privacy policy doc?

 - When I was working at Netscape, we used to see a fair number of bugs
   reported that had to do with activities that people were embarrassed
   about: porn sites causing crashes, for example.  Maybe you don't care
   about such reports, but if not it should be a conscious -- and
   public? -- decision.

All that said, Mozilla requires an email address for submission of feedback, and we're not hurting for reports.

Mike