Re: Bugs in Bugzilla

Mark Gordon <mtgordon helixcode com> writes:

> It's reasonable for bug-buddy to check for localhost.localdomain and suggest that the
> user change it (though dropping the message, as Martin suggested earlier, is a bit
> extreme).

People mistype email addresses a lot, even if they are not just being
lame.

> For other cases, we may run into privacy zealots who don't want to
> distribute their email addresses (especially given that our bug
> databases are out there in the open where spammers can send out bots
> to harvest addresses).

I have no sympathy for that. Contact info is essential to a complete
bug report. If you're too much of a privacy zealot to put your proper
email address on a bug report, you are too much of a privacy zealot to
be reporting bugs at all. But maybe spam protection in the addresses
as displayed would be useful.

> Given that some addresses, even those that have been validated, may
> become invalid over time, (someone changes jobs, changes ISP's,
> leaves school, whatever), we're not always going to be able to reach
> the original reporter, and we should just be prepared to deal with
> that from time to time.

Yes, although sometimes all you can do then is close the bug report.

 - Maciej