Re: Bugzilla for GNOME (was Re: GNOME CVS: nautilus mathieu)

[Btw. I approved your posting, but please fix your From: line next time.]

Ian Peters <itp flux gnome org> writes:

> Martin, you are correct.  For expedience, given that bug-buddy
> currently operates by sending email and has no idea how to send a bug
> report otherwise, we have all been assuming that bug-buddy will
> continue to submit bug reports using email as the transport, and thus
> that bugzilla will need an email interface.
>
> It is, of course, possible for bug-buddy to continue to use email
> while encoding the bug report in some cryptic or obnoxious format, so
> that users cannot easily use the email interface to bugzilla by hand.
> But as someone who has, for GNOME and Debian, taken the time to write
> good bug reports (yes, better than "it crashed" from
> "root localhost"), I object to you writing off this ability off hand.

Hmm, but what's wrong with going through bug-buddy to do this.

Using this cryptic or obnoxious format just makes sure that people
provide the correct package etc. and I think we can also easily extend
bug-buddy to let people insert a file for the long description.

This way you can just sit down and write your bug report with your
favorite text editor and just use bug-buddy (maybe even with the filename
as command line argument) to submit it.

I think it'd also be useful to have an option to load/save bug reports
to/from an XML file in bug-buddy when we also extend Bugzilla's web forms
to let you upload such an XML file.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)