Re: Bugzilla for GNOME (was Re: GNOME CVS: nautilus mathieu)

Christopher James Lahey <clahey helixcode com> writes:

> I disagree here.  Implementing bug-buddy support as an email interface
> allows you to implement whatever ideas you want from helper.html while
> also allowing easy offline bug reports.  Getting data from the client to a
> server offline is a solved problem.  sendmail and company solve this
> problem well for email.  Reimplementing this ourselves would be a bad
> idea.

Well, it doesn't really matter which transportation method we use; for
instance bug-buddy can also create an XML file with the bug report and
submit this file via email.

> > > Also, we should consider whether to move the bugs from bugs.g.o over or
> > > whether to drop all of them on the floor.
> >
> > I think it's enough if the maintainers of all modules have a look over the
> > bugs for their module and resubmit the good ones to Bugzilla, or at least
> > give them some time to close and remove all the crap (while debbugs is already
> > rejecting new bug reports) before we move.
>
> I'm not convinced about this.  There are a lot of modules in
> bugs.gnome.org whose maintainers aren't active but which may become alive
> again later.
>
> You said in another main that it's a waste to move all those bugs just to
> delete most of them, but this doesn't seem right.  It's much easier to get
> rid of bugs than it is to resubmit them.  It's especially easy with
> bugzilla.  However, resubmitting bugs is a pain.  You have to copy lots of
> data, and you're likely to lose some of it.
>
> Perhaps a good compromise would be to not copy the database, but
> a) provide a tool to migrate bugs.  An optimal solution would be to add a
> link on bugs.gnome.org bugs pages that migrates the bug to bugzilla when
> you click it.
> b) Keep the old database around.  There's absolutely no reason to delete
> the old database.  I certainly agree we should freeze it, but I see no
> reason to remove it.

Well, before we do such a copy, we really need to remove all the crap from
the old one.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)