Re: Bugzilla outstanding issues

Dan Winship <danw helixcode com> writes:

> >     We need to discuss whether we want to have some
> >     <package>-maint bugzilla gnome org mail aliases
> >     for package maintainers like we had with the old
> >     bug tracker or whether we want to have all bugs
> >     assigned to individual persons.
>
> As the person who all evolution-mail bugs get assigned to by default
> at Helix Code, I vote for package-maint aliases. First, because then
> everyone on the list can get the mail when a bug is added, and second,
> because it makes it easier to see what a person is really working on.
> (Theoretically, you can do this at bugzilla.helixcode.com by seeing
> which bugs are "NEW danw" vs "ASSIGNED danw", but no one other than me
> ever seems to notice this distinction. :)

As a person who sees too much mail already as category owner for
multiple categories in the Nautilus bugzilla, I definitely want to see
bugs assigned to individuals. (I take it as my responsibility to
reassign bugs assigned to me by default).

Also, for Nautilus and other eazel-maintained modules, we do maintain
a definite distinction between NEW and ASSIGNED. Leaving bugs around
as NEW in the current milestone instead of marking them ASSIGNED or
reassigning them is considered a hanging offense.

So maybe this is something that needs to be up to individual
maintainers.

> > @severities = (
> >         "blocker",
> >         "critical",
> >         "major",
> >         "normal",
> >         "minor",
> >         "trivial",
> >         "enhancement"
> > );
>
> What do these all mean? Does the separation of "blocker" and
> "critical" mean that we'll ship packages with "critical" bugs, and if
> so, what does "critical" mean? What's the useful distinction between
> "minor" and "trivial"?

I suggest leaving out severity and only including priority. The list
above mixes up the two concepts.

Whether a bug is release-critical is a matter of priority, not
severity. I wish Darin would post a nice explanation of how we use
bugzilla at Eazel and why it works well for use (hint hint).

> > @opsys = (
>
> I don't think we want/need this, or platform. Yeah, there will be bugs
> that affect Solaris and not Linux, but you can just mention that in
> the bug description, which people have done with the current system,
> and I don't think it's been a problem. (The distinction makes much
> more sense in Mozilla-land, where you have vastly separate Unix, Mac,
> and Windows ports, and people working on one are likely to be
> completely unable to do anything about bugs that are specific to
> another.)

I agree this should be left out.

 - Maciej