Re: New KDE web site.

Sri Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> writes:

> [Note: I've changed followups to gnome-hackers, there is nothing
> particularly confidential about this thread]
>
> > What about Zope? I've never used it myself, but it is remote administratable,
> > separates content from presentation (AFAIK), is already used by our news
> > system...
> >
> > Its got WebDAV support, so you can just drag and drop content onto the site
> > using Nautilus ;-)
>
> I was looking at www.webdav.org and I noticed in the rumors section
> somebody was looking into a GNOME based Dav explorer.  Is this Nautilus?
> In any case that should make the gnome web site a lot simpler to
> administrate.  I would go for Zope as well.

I think it is important to keep the web content in CVS:

 - We have mechanisms in place to adminster CVS access conveniently,
   and these will be extended in the future.

 - CVS is what the developers at least are familiar with, and
   easier to avoid introducing new mechanisms.

 - We have a lot of experience mirroring and backing-up CVS,
   and don't have to worry about getting some custom database
   format corrupted and loosing the web site.

Elliot claims there is CVS/Zope integration so this may not be
a problem.

(I think you could do some nice CVS integration into a file
manager; you want quite a standard VFS, but the idea of local
and remote copies and diffs betwen them etc, would have to be
in place for a functional DAV interface with version control
as well.)

> The decision though should really rest on those who have the time and is
> willing to implement it.  If that means Joakim and using WML, then
> by all means we should pursue that.

Sounds like that will be Joakim _or_ using WML.

Regards,
                                        Owen