Re: New KDE web site.

On 6 Nov 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:

> That's 9 passes. Count them 9 passes. Including Perl and M4, languages
> that by themselves tend to confuse people.

People aren't having to use M4 or perl to create basic pages. Implying
that those 9 cruddy passes have something to do with the real problem
seems inaccurate to me, when people don't have to know about those passes
nor the languages involved.

> > > And since we're using a mix of WML and PHP, we'eve lost the main
> > > advantages of WML - static content and the ability to test without a
> > > web server.
> >
> > This is because Joakim decided that he wanted to use PHP as much as
> > possible, not because things are not reasonably implementable in WML.
>
> Well, WML is all static content, and the places where PHP is being
> used now is dynamic content, so using WML would have meant even random
> crazy scripts running on the server, instead of stuff integrated into
> CVS, and made it even harder for people to set up a dummy
> installation.

It doesn't matter whether we use crazy scripts or PHP, people aren't going
to be able to get a fully functioning dummy installation for dynamic
content because they don't have the database. For static content, PHP vs.
WML is debatable (basically a question of having to install PHP vs. WML).

> We have evidence that WML isn't working for us - the site is getting
> no maintainence.

By itself, the lack of site maintainance does not provide evidence that
WML is the problem, though.

Joakim is the only one who has made a conjecture as to the cause of the
lack of maintainance - that people find WML too difficult to use. That is
slightly tainted by his participation in the 'PHP for President' campaign,
but is at least a valid attempt to explain why WML won't work.

-- Elliot
[ "In a democracy, the government is the people," Milo explained. "We're people,
aren't we? So we might just as well keep the money and eliminate the middleman." ]
							- Catch-22