Re: some changes in panel messages

Hi all,

I have thought about how to better inform the translators about new
package releases, and came up with the following idea.

What about creating a cvs module named "gnome-releases" where people
can write upcoming release dates, branch name, etc.

Then we could have a cron job that could look for changes and if found
send a mail to the gnome-i18n gnome org mailing list.

This way, only people with cvs access and translators will know about
new release dates.

What do you think? You can read the very small thread below if you want!

Cheers, Kenneth

> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 12:19:31PM +0100, Kenneth Christiansen wrote:
> > Thanks a lot for telling us George. Btw, do you think it would be a good
> > idea with a cvs module named "gnome-releases" where people could write
> > upcoming release dates to a file. Then a cron job could look for changes
> > and mail the gnome-i18n gnome org list if a new date is added?
>
> That could also be a good idea.  Another idea may be that a script might go
> around updating the .pot files and if one changed would make a diff and send
> it to gnome-i18n gnome org   That way you'd automatically know when something
> needs updating.

I thought about that, but pot files are being updated way to often, which will
result in gnome-i18n gnome org being a high trafic mailing list. If this
happends, people will keep less attention to the letters send, and that is
not the idea. If we instead only inform the list with new release dates, that
would be better I think

> > In this file, we could also write information about branches! This would
> > really be a help
>
> That would actually be good even for other things then just translations.
Yes, indeed ;)

> > I'm cc'ing martin, since he can probably do the cron job. If it's a good
> > idea we should mail gnome-private gnome org
>
> or gnome-hackers, this doesn't have to be neccessairly "private" :)
No, I just got very confused with all this private vs hackers stuff

Kenneth