Re: gtk+ entry patch

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:39:29PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Ghee Seng Teo <Ghee Teo ireland sun com> writes:
> >
> > 	As I am fairly new to Gnome and GTK+,
> > 	Justin's fix brought to me to ask these questions:
> > 	- What if the user a two button mouse?
> > 	- What happen to the GTK+ port on the Mac (is there one) running Linux
> > 	which traditionally has only one button?
>
> XFree86 has provisions for these cases; with two-button mice the two
> buttons are usually 1 and 3, and you can press buttons 1 and 3
> simultaneously to emulate button 2. On a mac, the button is button 1,
> and you can switch buttons with the keyboard or a special panel
> applet.
>
> Anyway, it's addressed on the X level for the most part. Though we try
> to avoid using button 2 most of the time, since lots of people have
> two-button mice.

I haven't gotton XFree86 4 working yet, but can comment on one-button
usage under the Xpmac server and eXodus running on MacOS.

On Xpmac, Option-2 and Option-3 simulates pressing buttons 2 and 3,
which is pretty easy to get used to.  In eXodus, It is Command-2 and
Command-3.  Which means you don't really "switch" the buttons, they
are just keyboard combinations instead.  Button 1 on the mouse is
still button 1 all the time.

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson eventloop com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking