Re: proper way to include libxml headers (was Re: stupid gconf patch)

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 01:19:54PM -0800, Darin Adler wrote:
> on 12/12/00 1:02 AM, Daniel Veillard at Daniel Veillard w3 org wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 04:16:59PM -0800, Darin Adler wrote:
> >> Let me second this question/comment. Under the (perhaps false) impression
> >> that Daniel had resolved this issue, I changed all the Nautilus includes to
> >> use the gnome-xml/ prefix. I seem to recall a 1.X -> 2.X web page that
> >> strongly implied (and maybe said outright) that you can use the prefix with
> >> 1.X now.
> >
> > Sure, but not this prefix :-(
> >
> >   http://xmlsoft.org/upgrade.html
> >
> > -------------
> > 1.similar include naming, one should use #include<libxml/...> in both cases.
> > -------------
>
> OK. Now I'm really confused. I'm using the LIB_XML_1_BRANCH tag on
> cvs.gnome.org. But use of "#include <libxml/...>" definitely does not work,
> despite the claims on your web page. "xml-config --clflags" writes out
> "-I<prefix>/include/gnome-xml/" and there is no libxml subdirectory in
> there. Does this mean that LIB_XML_1_BRANCH is not as new as libxml-1.8.8
> and lacks the "#include <libxml/...>" feature?

  Did you read the other mails on the subject ?
I explicitely told this was made possible by installing . to libxml
symlink in /usr/include/gnome-xml , this is done in the RPM spec.
  xml-config --clflags exports -I/usr/include/gnome-xml making
this unification work.
Clearly this need to be added to the "make install" rule instead. Feel
free to add this patch.

> I'm not sure what to do next. There are lots of sources using #include
> <gnome-xml/...> to include gnome-xml headers [bonobo, gnome-vfs, gnome-fm
> :-), nautilus, gnome-core, gconf, gnome-libs (HEAD at least), evolution,
> gal, gnumeric, ammonite] and I'd like to fix them, but I don't know how.
> Apparently Mathieu has already changed oaf in the same way he suggests
> changing gconf (removing the gnome-xml/ prefix), but I hope we can do better
> than that.

  Sounds like a small sed script could do it.

I am extremely busy with W3C work right now, I'm struggling to try to
incorporate the patches and fixes in the HEAD I receive, and just can't
currently dedicate time for the old libxml1 maintenance right now.
This should get really better in January, but if you really need to get
something fixed in the libxml1 branch, as explained in the HACKING file,
feel free to commit in it, just send me a mail about the change (and
update the Changelog of course !)

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/