proper way to include libxml headers (was Re: stupid gconf patch)

on 12/12/00 1:02 AM, Daniel Veillard at Daniel Veillard w3 org wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 04:16:59PM -0800, Darin Adler wrote:
>> Let me second this question/comment. Under the (perhaps false) impression
>> that Daniel had resolved this issue, I changed all the Nautilus includes to
>> use the gnome-xml/ prefix. I seem to recall a 1.X -> 2.X web page that
>> strongly implied (and maybe said outright) that you can use the prefix with
>> 1.X now.
>
> Sure, but not this prefix :-(
>
>   http://xmlsoft.org/upgrade.html
>
> -------------
> 1.similar include naming, one should use #include<libxml/...> in both cases.
> -------------

OK. Now I'm really confused. I'm using the LIB_XML_1_BRANCH tag on
cvs.gnome.org. But use of "#include <libxml/...>" definitely does not work,
despite the claims on your web page. "xml-config --clflags" writes out
"-I<prefix>/include/gnome-xml/" and there is no libxml subdirectory in
there. Does this mean that LIB_XML_1_BRANCH is not as new as libxml-1.8.8
and lacks the "#include <libxml/...>" feature?

I'm not sure what to do next. There are lots of sources using #include
<gnome-xml/...> to include gnome-xml headers [bonobo, gnome-vfs, gnome-fm
:-), nautilus, gnome-core, gconf, gnome-libs (HEAD at least), evolution,
gal, gnumeric, ammonite] and I'd like to fix them, but I don't know how.
Apparently Mathieu has already changed oaf in the same way he suggests
changing gconf (removing the gnome-xml/ prefix), but I hope we can do better
than that.

    -- Darin