Re: Bugzilla read to go live?

Jody Goldberg <jgoldberg home com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 09:15:35PM -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > * Add the time estimate field as on bugzilla.eazel.com. Even though
> >   you can't do real project management, it's really useful to know
> >   about how large a task is when considering things like whether to
> >   defer it from a release, whether to grab it from someone else who
> >   hasn't touched it in a while, etc.
>
> Although information like this could be useful I don't think a
> single field is helpful.  It is unclear whether this refers to how
> soon you will be able to look at a bug, or how long you thing the
> bug will take to fix.  I'd prefer to have both or neither.

The field is your estimate how long it will take to fix the bug once
you start working on it. In other words, the goal is to estimate how
hard it is to fix. (The field is called "Work Remaining" in the Eazel
bug tracker which should make this pretty clear). This is useful
partly because you can total these up and see how doomed a particular
person or a particular package is with more accuracy than just number
of open bugs.

Presumably the milestone and priority give a rough estimate of when
you can look at it. I certainly don't think I'd ever estimate that I
can look at a bug in 4 hours, or even necessarily that I could look it
in 3 days. So I am not sure more granularity would help. But let's see
what other people think.

 - Maciej