Re: platform compatibility policy

>From: Sam TH <sam uchicago edu>
>On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 08:57:00AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>>

>> One concern at the moment is that we don't even have a reasonable test
>> harness for automated testing of GUI stuff.
>>
>> I know with the help of some QA people at Sun we're starting to
>> address these issues, but we're far from having them solved...
>>

>Really?  Are people working on automated testing of GUI apps?  Are
>they under specific order not to talk to AbiWord people (or Gnumeric
>people, etc)?  We would really benifit from automatic testing, and
>would love to talk to people working on it.

I'm not directly involved with this project but I can tell you a
little about the goals. The team is still being put together
and they are looking for ideas about how to proceed.

There are two basic goals:

1. Develop a test suite for Gtk+ (to help find bugs in Gtk+)
2. Develop or enhance technology to help with testing Gtk+-based GUI's

If anyone has ideas about how to test Gtk+ or Gtk+-based applications,
I'm sure the engineers involved would really appreciate input. They are
probably at the fact-finding stage, but maybe they should start asking
for ideas right now on gnome-hackers.

Colm.