Re: Subversion migration schedule (cut-off Fri 18 Mar)

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 06:35:54AM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> If the questions Daniel was asking were actual big problems for us
> to resolve, then that extra complexity might be needed, but it's
> going to be far easier to just assemble the document that Daniel
> is asking for; anonymous access, Windows support, etc, are there,
> we just need to explain them to people.

  Okay can we have at least for a couple of weeks an svn trial branch
where we can check how this works, make sure history is kept in the
transition, make sure that our docs are ready for users (I was pointed
to http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/subversion/ KDE ones
and that clarified some of the issues for me). That svn area would then work
as a test setup, expected to be reset to the last CVS value on the day of the
switch.
  This would allow people to familiarize and check, the sysadmin to check
that there is no big problems when actually using them, and provide the
necessary feedback to fine-tune the documentation.
  This should not make the sysadmin life any more complex, this would raise
confidence by all parties that the switch is actually doable on the cutoff
date, the only risk is that the area will be reset and people should not
commit important stuff there.
  2 weeks sounds like a minimum testing time for me, at least one of my
commiters lost cvs commit access for 3 weeks when we disabled non-ssh cvs
commits. You can't expect people to react instantly.

  thanks for considering this,

Daniel