Re: Subversion migration.

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 22:45 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > Do you have a description of how the Mono team moved to SVN?
>
> There is a migration tool that does most of this for you cvs2svn, runs
> for a few hours.

I made the decision at BT to move our teams CVS repository over to
Subversion about 9 months ago and have found it superb.  It caters
everything we needed in CVS and more.

The most powerful points about Subversion from our point of view are:

* Revision numbers associated with each commit.  Being able to refer to
that number (which is also used in the RPMs we build) means the
installed software is easily tracked back to a point in time.

* Moving/Removing directories just makes things much cleaner and IMO you
feel less tied down when moving source around.

* I really like the way they have a separate command 'svn status' to
find out what files have changed locally and the fact it is completely
separate from the 'svn update' command.

As far as the cvs2svn script is concerned, we used that to migrate from
CVS and it works well retaining past history, tags, branches, etc.
Personally I am surprised Gnome hasn't attempted to do this sooner.

Subversion gets my vote ;)

--
Regards,
Martyn