Re: Proposed modules for 2.10 wanted NOW

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 18:00 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:

> What desktop user goal or task might this help with?

For example the scheduling of anti-virus-scans and backups. The
scheduling of a sound alarm. The scheduling of specific events that can
be launched by starting a process/application.

I do know, however, of a project that is planning to produce an event-
based mechanism for scheduled such events. So that applications would
have an API to subscribe for such events. Much like they now can
subscribe on GConf-keys. If you are more interested in such technology,
I'd suggest you read:
	o. http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/xdg/2004-July/004254.html
	o. http://zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl/~mathrick/spec.txt

Gnome-schedule, however, is not such a software. We are, therefor, not
planning to do any integration with softwares like the Calendar portion
of Evolution (The "reminders" would be a nice candidate example for that
other project. In a sense that it would nolonger be necessary for
Evolution to be running, while the reminders could still popup if
handled by another process).

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org