Third-party sessioning requests [was Re: Session Management Proposal]

Hi Ray/All:

One significant issue that we (GNOME Accessibility Team) have had so far is
the lack of a clean way to add a 'startup client' from an external app, i.e.
a means of requesting that a not-yet-running client be added to subsequent
sessions.  This is important for bootstrapping of accessibility support; since
assistive technologies are clients which are essential to a user's session,
it's difficult or impossible for end-users to carry out the normal
"invoke and save session" procedure for configuring a desktop.

What mechanism do you recommend for doing this?  I certainly think that
whatever we propose ought to work across desktops (at the moment we are
relying one gnome-session to do this, with some at-specific hacks, but
this is not a very extensible solution).

(What I am asking for is a standard, supported equivalent to
adding a line to the ~/.gnome2/session-manual file.)

- Bill

Ray Strode wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Attached is the latest version of the DSME. As always,
> improvements appreciated.
>
> It is also available as HTML here:
>
> http://www.grokthecruft.org/dsme/
>
> If there are no major concerns with this after 2 weeks,
> then I'd like to put it up on freedesktop.org.  That
> should give those on vacation for the holidays time to
> look it over and make comments or suggestions if
> required.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Ray

------