Re: signal-to-noise on d-d-l

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 00:26, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > > Not over more lists -> we shift the 'global' discussion to
> > > gnome-hackers, and let d-d-l stay on-topic for desktop issues. It makes
> > > no sense that the general development list in "The GNOME Project" is
> > > d-d-l.
> >
> > Given that GNOME is a desktop, yeah, it sort of does. I'm not sure how you
> > draw a line between the two for the kinds of things that have been causing
> > so much wasted bandwidth, like flags (required for a desktop module), evo,
> > or scripting.
>
> GNOME is bigger than just the Desktop release.

The desktop release is, at this time, effectively all of GNOME. QA,
i18n, documentation, and marketing all focus their efforts on the
desktop release. Yes, that may change in the future, but it hasn't
happened yet.

> > > It also means that if you want to be involved in decision making in a
> > > certain area of the project, you have to be involved in the list,
> > > instead of getting an end run around everyone simply by being on the
> > > cool kids list.
> >
> > Eh?
>
> Desktop issues -> d-d-l. Global issues -> g-h. If we remove some of the
> 'power' of d-d-l, then the "oddballs" won't feel like it's such a great
> platform for their crack.

Great, they'll move to g-h. That really solves the problem! :)

> > So... why hasn't 'regular' social pressure worked?

<snip>

>  So let's set some standards and solve this with a
> sniper's rifle instead of a hydrogen bomb.

Sounds good. What are those standards then? How should we have dealt
with the stupid flag, evo, and scripting threads? I'm not trying to be a
PITA here, I think it's the right idea, I'm just totally at a loss as to
how to do this other than saying '[you are|this thread is] a waste of
time' which is awfully arbitrary and at least at the thread level has
been spectacularly unsuccessful lately.

Luis