Using the GTP (was Re: Two new projects in the CVS and 5th Toe)

ons 2003-09-03 klockan 14.17 skrev Murray Cumming:
> > One of the primary reasons for adding the projects to CVS is that I
> > hope to get help with translations from the GNOME translation
> > teams.
>
> Hopefully they can still work with you if you are not in gnome's cvs.
> And I think you need to be in the GNOME desktop release to really get
> their attention. Have they said that you need to be in GNOME's cvs?

Being hosted in GNOME CVS is certainly a requirement for using the GNOME
Translation Project, yes.

Our work is totally based on the translation status pages written by
Carlos, and the status pages don't work with other CVS repositiories.
Nor do I think it would be worthwhile to go through the pain of
extending them to do so -- we cannot commit to other CVS repositories
anyway, and the idea of transferring several hundred translator cvs
accounts to another CVS repository, let alone keeping them in sync,
seems unreasonable.

We've tried the concept of keeping copies of pot and po files for
external projects in GNOME CVS and manually syncing them extensively in
the past, but all experience shows that things would usually get out of
sync rather rapidly, either in one direction or the other or often both.
In the end, everything turned out to be an unmaintained mess.

So nowadays, we've requested the authors of all those modules to 1)
either request to use GNOME CVS for their application, or 2) continue
using their own CVS but instead using the Translation Project, an
independant project better suited for external projects. See
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-i18n/developer.html#gtp
for all the good details.

But for GNOME applications developed by established GNOME contributors
and that even have the remotest chance of being included in the GNOME
desktop one day, I don't see the point in telling them to go elsewhere.
Especially not since we need them in GNOME CVS anyway when that happens,
at least for translation.

Christian