Re: Major change in desktop handling

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 00:09, Sebastian Rittau wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:24:33PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > NOTE NOTE NOTE:
> > As part of this change the directory for the desktop was changed from
> > ~/.gnome-desktop to ~/Desktop.
>
> This is just wrong. I don't want random applications to mess with the
> (visible part) of my home directory. It's mine and I want to have
> control over it. I don't want random directories like "Desktop" to
> appear in it. It doesn't fit my naming convention for things in my home
> and it just doesn't belong there.

Maybe you shouldnt make Nautilus manage the desktop then?

If there *is a desktop* then there just needs to be a *user visible*
folder for it on your home directory. That's the biggest problem we have
had since the gmc days - the desktop was a hidden directory and your
fileselector did not show it. When you have a file on the desktop, there
is no way you can find it in an application if you use the file open
dialog.

As a power user, why not make 'alias ls="ls --ignore=Desktop"' (or
whatever syntax your shell of choice has) if it bugs you on the terminal
use :-)

(As a side note, maybe Nautilus could check that if the "manage desktop"
gconf key says "no" then it would not create the ~/Desktop folder so
that you could delete it if you dont need it.)

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen | tigert ximian com | www.ximian.com