Re: GNOME CVS: web-devel-2 jfleck

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:24:47AM -0600, Steve Fox wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 22:29, Gnome CVS User wrote:
>
> > Log message:
> > John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net>
> > * main.in - removing many dead links (mostly to old IBM Developerworks stuff) and adding the libxml tutorial

> There are a couple valid links that were removed, as well as some
> articles that simply moved and can easily be found again by using the
> site search.
>
> Mind if I put them back in?
>
> Granted the content is quite old, but maybe the tutorials page just
> needs to be reorganized instead.

Sorry if I overstepped my bounds here.

My thinking (not thoroughly explained in the terse commit message) was that
it's a bad idea to be steering people on that page to old GNOME 1-era
tutorials. If folks want to find that stuff and it still exists, they easily
can through Google and other search tools. But I don't think we should be
encouraging people to read and use it.

If we do put it back, I'd like to reorganize the page to include a section
that is explicit - "Here are some old GNOME 1 tutorials that still contain
some useful pointers, but really GNOME 2.x is far better and you should use
that instead...." - or some such.

I'm happy to do the reorganization if folks would prefer doing it that way. As
it was, the page was rather an embarassment of dead links and confusion, which
is what I was earnestly trying to fix.

Cheers,
John