Re: lufs and gnome-vfs

On 3 Mar 2003, Roberto Majadas wrote:

> Hi people :
> I was reading about lufs (Linux user file system). This program permit
> to the user mount filesystems like ftp,ssh,... in anything directory
> (like mount) . You can do for example :
> lufsmount sshfs://mali lufs sourceforge net ~/mnt/lufs
> lufsmount ftpfs://mali:mypass ftp sourceforge net ~/mnt/lufs -o
> ftpactive
> I think will be interesting that gnome-vfs uses this. And maybe will be
> interesting contact with KDE people and for help to
> develop it . Because so KDE, GNOME and other people can use the same vfs
> . Inclusive in console :).
> I hope this info will be useful for you .
> Any coments ? don't flame me please , i'm very shy ;D

I really dislike these sorts of things. The semantics for unix filesystems
are very well defined, and gnome-vfs has much weaker semantics. You also
have to be root to mount filesystems, and you are loading a non-supported
filesystem module in the kernel that could easily destabilize the whole

I don't even know what you mean when you say gnome-vfs should use this. Do
you think gnome-vfs should automatically mount filesystems when you
browse e.g. smb:?

If you want to run lufs on your machine, that is entierly up to you, and
as long as lufs works gnome should have no problem accessing files on it.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a short-sighted chivalrous romance novelist looking for a cure to the
poison coursing through his veins. She's a vivacious Bolivian politician with
a song in her heart and a spring in her step. They fight crime!

gnome-hackers mailing list
gnome-hackers gnome org