Re: ANNOUNCE: fontilus-0.3 and nautilus-rpm-0.1

> Sender: gnome-announce-list-admin gnome org
> From: James Henstridge <james daa com au>
> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:07:08 +0800
> To: gnome-announce-list gnome org
> Subject: ANNOUNCE: fontilus-0.3 and nautilus-rpm-0.1
> -----

> Nautilus-rpm is a set of tools for viewing the package database on an
> RPM based system.  It consists of:
>
>     * rpmdb:/// gnome-vfs method, to view installed package database
>     * nautilus view for viewing package information (both installed and
>       non-installed)
>     * a properties page to find out what package a file belongs to.
>
> Nautilus-rpm requires rpm >= 4.0 (although I have done most testing on
> 4.1).  There is no support for installing, upgrading, removing,
> verifying or checking signatures yet.  This is planned for a future release.
>
> James.

Ooohhh, goodie, goodie...  I hope we can also get properties of a file
(what package it is from, etc), check its checksum, etc,
while browsing.  Ultimately, I'd like to
do a click or two on a file I'm browsing, and have it upgraded automatically
(e.g. apt-get upgrade foo).  I suggested this to Andy Herzfeld aeons ago,
and I'm glad to see someone picking up the gautlet.

                      - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory