Annocvs suckage

Hi,

We all know it and we all have been going through it, but we have been
ignoring it. gnome annocvs servers are out of sync for as long as 24
hours. This is a real horrible figure, especially when we consider the
amount of work done in the cvs daily. Has anybody given any thought to
it?

Developments aren't done by the maintainers only. Every one who has been
submitting patches are equally doing the work. It is a pity, that we
have been ignoring the frustrations and the pain suffered by the
developers who use annocvs servers.

I have seen many cases, where the patch submitters had to
regenerate/resync/resend the patches because the servers 'just' got
synced after a long time! Or wait for a whole day before he could
consider sending a patch, because the servers are still not 'synced'!

This basically reduces both the productivity and the inspiration among
the developers. It is also a problem for the maintainers too. Out of
sync patches take longer time to apply (and most maintainers just bounce
the patches telling them to regenerate).

Because we know it's not going to he helpful to give everyone a cvs
account, it makes sense to  sync the servers more frequently. This, as
opposed to the general believe, will not be a case of more resource
intensive operation. On the other hand it will take (IMHO) lesser
resources.

Think it this way: The amount of data to be synced in a day is constant,
whether we sync it once at the end of the day or every min. There, of
course, will be some extra protocol burden if we do it more often than
once, but that would be negligible compared to the volume of data
synced.

As a real life example, the company in which I work (confidential ;))
has 20 servers across the globe and they are all synced from the main
server every one min. It works pretty fine too. On the other hand, we
have only 3 servers to sync, so that would be far less troublesome to
sync every minute.

Or do we have some other reason for not syncing it more frequently?

--
Regards,
-Naba

Change is the essential process of all existence.
		-- Spock, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", stardate 5730.2