Re: Enter the build sheriff: Jacob.

On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 11:08, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:48:00AM -0500, jacob berkman wrote:
> > >   BUT, the build sheriff commited twice already without sending any mail
> > > informing me of the potential problem.
> >
> > i checked HACKING and it said:
> >
> >      In the exceptional case where a serious breakage in this module
> >     prevents other core projects from making progress, then feel free
> >     to patch first and send mail afterward as long as the changes are
> >     limited.
> >
> > and in both cases this was true.
>
>   Sorry, I didn't see the serious breakage, nor any complaint from
> other core projects maintainers that this may have been broken [1].

well you (and most people) are using linux and gcc.  as you know, libxml
is used on many more platforms than that, though.  and a build failure
there often indicates actual brokenness.

setting CFLAGS in a makefile is pretty broken, and setting it to -Wall
is definitely broken.

it's not like i was going around changing indentation - maybe others
should look at the changes i committed to get additional context in this
discussion.  neither of the commits broke anything.

i don't commit things unless i'm confident that it's correct.  yesterday
there was breakage in gnome-media's .po files and i had one of the i18n
people fix it because i was unsure what the right fix was.

> In both cases this was about python modules which may not have build in
> some circumstances.  No core project relies on those modules. I don't see
> either how this would have hampered the progresses of other modules. No
> really ...

well i'm using --without-python in the builds now so any breakage in
that directory (aside from dist-time or autogen breakage) will fall
through the cracks i guess.

> P.S.: You know, I suck. Too bad, live with it, you know I want a mail before
>       commits, it's not the first time, I hope it's the last.

the only reason i did commit was after reading HACKING.  if it hadn't
had the paragraph above, i wouldn't have committed.  so i made a
judgement call and you think i had bad judgement.

it's not like i'm trying to piss you off.

jacob