Re: release notes: Solaris

Luis Villa <louie ximian com> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 09:12, John Fleck wrote:
> > Folks -
> > Could someone who's been building GNOME2 on Solaris jot down whatever it
> > is I ought to say in the release notes?
>
> Either 'please report bugs because Sun will love you for it' or 'please
> don't report bugs because Ximian and Wipro will love you for it.' :)
>
> Seriously...
>         * Solaris Intel may have gtk issues [bug 84486; that is reported
>           fixed but I don't know if it was fixed 'only' in Sun builds or
>           if it was also fixed in gtk 2.0.4.]
>         * keybindings have issue with stock gtk: bug 74223, 79184, maybe
>           58203
>
> Other than that, offhand, Solaris GNOME /should/ be pretty solid.

One thing that most likely should be noted is in the GLib README:

 If you are using the native iconv implementation on Solaris
 instead of libiconv, you'll need to make sure that you have
 the converters between locale encodings and UTF-8 installed.
 At a minimum you'll need the SUNWuiu8 package. You probably
 should also install the SUNWciu8, SUNWhiu8, SUNWjiu8, and
 SUNWkiu8 packages.

This is the most common problem I've seen reported about GTK+
on Solaris. (Of course, everyone should read the GLib INSTALL
document if they are installing GLib from source, but....)

I don't know if this applies to Solaris 9, but it's been reported
with Solaris 2.5, 2.6 and 8.

Regards,
                                        Owen