Re: GnomeAppBar interactive mode

mawarkus t-online de (Matthias Warkus) writes:
> It's not marked up as deprecated, neither in the docs nor in the
> headers. What has it been replaced by? GtkStatusbar?

Yes. GtkStatusbar now allows you to avoid the "context" mess by
passing 0 for the context ID, so is pretty easy to use.

> What's the way to go if you want to have a progress bar in the
> status bar, then?

Assuming you want that, which few people do ;-), you amazingly enough
pack a progress bar and a status bar into a GtkHBox (which is all
GnomeAppBar does IIRC).

> On a related note: There still seem to be multiple ways of doing menus
> and toolbars. Does it make sense to mention the respective GTK+
> widgets, gnome-app-helper stuff etc. or should I tell my readers to
> use Bonobo for everything? Even test-gnome seems to use the Bonobo way
> these days.

Your readers won't appreciate the real answer, which is that many
people want to replace all these ways with yet another way. ;-) See
libegg menu code. There will be some RFP action and much discussion of
this over the next months I have a feeling.

I use GtkItemFactory or create menus manually, myself.

Havoc