Re: copyright notice format

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 08:49:58PM +1300, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 02:31, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > Sorry for not informing you.
> > We had a discussion on gnome-i18n:
> > http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2002-September/msg00097.html
> > http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2002-November/msg00230.html
> > http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2002-December/msg00001.html
> > After reading *many* articles on copyright laws I finally decided to use
> > the variant described in 2002-December/msg00001.
> > I'm sorry for having omitted all maintainers. I've learned my lesson and
> > it won't happen again (unfortunately I commited similar fixes to other
> > modules). I'm very unexperienced and was obviously to motivated.
> > Feel free to revert the change.

There was no real conclusion from these threads, though. And as I
recently pointed out on gnome-docs, this isn't a "one size fits all"
department, since the rules are different depending on which
international treaties your country of residence and/or citizenship has
signed. Sometimes the copyright symbol is required, sometimes not and so
on, and so on... :-( I do not feel very comfortable about some
prescribed form when we have so many nationalities contributing to
GNOME.

We recently got some advice on gnome-docs that nobody has raised issue
with yet about one fairly acceptable way to put copyright notices in the
documentation. At the end of the day, all copyright holders need to make
sure the notice is valid for them.

Some of the changes also dropped legitimate copyright holders, which is
very serious.

Malcolm

--
Remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.