Minutes for Gnome 2 release team meeting 2002-08-28

Minutes for Gnome 2 release team meeting 2002-08-28

Present: everyone.

        Frederic Crozat         Glynn Foster
        Karl Gaffney            Jody Goldberg
        Telsa Gwynne            Mikael Hallendal
        Luis Villa              Jeff Waugh

Actions:

  DONE: Karl to check dotplan and see what needs changing.

  DONE: Telsa to stuff her list of "missing" into bugzilla and
  solicit contributions.

  DONE: Mikael to send first API update to Jeff.

  DONE: Luis to draft list of what we might want to add to desktop
  for 2.2.

  DONE: Luis to draft standards of what we expect for a finished
  app that's going into 2.2 then post to g-h and d-d-l for discussion.

  DONE: Telsa to check list of mailing lists and ensure someone from
  release team is present on each of the projects who don't have
  specific members on the release-team.

  PENDING: Frederic to write GEP for release-consistent version numbering
  changes, due "week after next" (ie now this week)
  => written a draft which we liked and Michael (one of the GEP -- or
  GNOME Enhancement Procedure -- authors) liked: so to be committed
  into gep module.

  PENDING: Sort out list of new stuff expected in 2.2.
  Jeff to send request for this out, and we will split the
  results up among us by package and each monitor one small group.
  => Still pending.

  PENDING: Luis to send bug summary to Jeff

  PENDING: Jeff to consolidate the above two and the You are here and
  send out. These three actions should become a routine so probably
  won't appear in the minutes again.
  => "above two" was Luis' PENDING and Mikael's DONE one. Apparently
  not so routine yet :)

  PENDING: Jeff to check in changes to dotplan.

  PENDING: Jeff to install analog or webalyser on the box hosting dotplan
  so we know what people are looking for/at/over.

  PENDING: Jeff to create check-list of "things to do before major
  release" and maintain it so it's ready for 2.2.0.

  NEW: Luis to put results of "standards we would like to see Gnome 2.2
  apps reach for inclusion" discussions on d-d-l on website.

  NEW: Luis to collate responses from relevant maintainers on whether
  they want their apps to be part of GNOME 2.2 and post them for public
  discussion.

  NEW: Telsa to send list of what lists we're all on to Jeff for
  weekly update.

  NEW: Mikael to send his API docs summary out.

Decisions and discussions:

  * gnopernicus and gok

  These are two of the demonstrations of accessibility (a11y)
  programs working with GNOME. They live in GNOME CVS. Luis
  has been playing with them. Note for people looking at them:
  gnopernicus uses (and depends on) some speech libraries being
  available: won't work without them. gnome-speech is in CVS but
  it hasn't worked for Luis yet.

  * 2.0.2 status

  Have almost all the tarballs needed for 2,0.2 RC-1 now. Most of
  them arrived within the last few hours, so they need testing first.
  Should be out by the time many people read these minutes. Well,
  within twelve hours of them being sent, we hope.

  * FTP site changes

  Discussion on altering the ftp site structure took place via
  phone calls and gnome-hackers list. The original plan of
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-August/msg00069.html
  has now been significantly altered:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-August/msg00170.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-August/msg00179.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-August/msg00193.html

  It looks like it's good to go now.

  There is a set of scripts to run on both the main site and the mirrors
  which will move stuff around and thus reduce the amount of re-mirroring
  required. There will also be an XML file with list of canonical
  releases generated from the install-module script which maintainers
  run when uploading. Then build scripts and other tools and pages which
  need up-to-date lists can reference this, and no-one has to go about
  changing things by hand. (translators keep a list of modules for
  example, need to tell them about it)

  The change can't happen by the time we hope GNOME 2.0.2 RC-1 is
  going to be out, but are planned to take place in time for GNOME
  2.0.2.

  * API docs

  Mikael has garned a list of where we are with API docs and what
  needs doing for Gnome 2.2. Some do need some help, but many are
  pretty good. He will post the list as inspiration to complete them.

  * canvas

  canvas, the main CVS repository, has been suffering a bit
  lately. People are noticing it's slow. This isn't our fault: it's
  all those evil Gnome hackers fixing things all the time :)

  * 2.0.3

  We're now thinking it's entirely possible that beyond translations,
  little else is likely to go into the 2.0.x branch for a good while.
  Much discussion on the best way to handle 2.0.3. Review this on the
  18th September, after talking to translators and any other involved
  parties.

  * Apologies in advance:

  At least two people (Luis and Glynn) won't be able to make the
  25th September meeting. Luis will be away for the subsequent one
  (2nd October) as well.

Telsa