Re: Imminent FTP Migration

On 26 August, 2002 - Jeff Waugh sent me these 1,4K bytes:

>   - Email ftp maintainers alerting them to the upcoming change. (Doing. I
>     know contact details for Sweden and planetmirror, does everyone else
>     sync from Sweden?)

We have no official pushing from ftp.g.o (ftp.acc.umu.se), but I suppose
there are a few who pulls it judging from ftp stats[0].

>   - Write script to migrate tarballs to new layout. (This was jamesh's idea;
>     we can send it to ftp maintainers to run before we restart rsync on
>     widget so the majority of changes use zero bandwidth. Yay!) (Doing.)

That would reduce it a bunch, yes.

[..]
> This will be complete before the release candidate on the 30th. Planetmirror
> and Sweden will definitely be ready by then, as the administrators are easy
> to contact - not entirely sure about the other mirrors. Will confer with
> Tomas.

The "large syncers" seems to be pulling in ok speeds (70-400k/s), so
that shouldn't be a big problem..

0: http://www.acc.umu.se/technical/statistics/ftp/gnome.html.en

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric ing umu se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå