Re: Proposal for changes to gnome-announce

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 01:58, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So, a while back, there was some discussion about what kind of software
> announcements were appropriate on gnome-announce list, specifically with
> regards to the applist emails (which often had lowish quality info).
>
> I think that gnome-announce should target casually interested users,
> onlookers and general press, which would require a change to the kind of
> stuff we publish there:
>
>   - Major release announcements
>   - General developer/user news (GWN)
>   - Press releases
>
> This leaves software announcements out of the picture, so an accompanying

It doesn't make sense. The list is mostly used for software
announcements right now, where 1,592 [*1] members have subscribed for
that purpose.

If we decide that software announcements are not for this list, we would
have to create another list to hold software announcements. I think that
gnome-announce-list@ has too big of a trajectory to change the meaning
of the list, too big of a change for little gain. Think about the
archives and how many links there are to gnome-announce-list posts,
google threw 7,200 hits to "gnome-announce-list" for example.

Seems like what you want is another list for the three items that you
list above.

regards,
Chema

[*1] - Yep, there are 1,592 members subscribed to gnome-announce-list@