Re: We need a solution about .po files && UTF-8

El dom, 28-04-2002 a las 13:56, Rodrigo Moya escribió:
> On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 05:22, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> > Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos gnome-db org> writes:
> >
> > > emacs (if you read the gnome-i18n thread you can see that seems like it
> > > has some troubles).
> >
> > Using Emacs from CVS head (plus the settings I posted) does it for quite
> > some languages, though.  Emacs 21.2 features limited UTF-8 support.
> >
> > BTW, I don't see a problem to ship .gmo files UTF-8 encoded while the
> > .po files can stay unchanged.  Converting .gmo files can either happen
> > at 'make dist' or at 'make install' time.
> >
> yes, indeed, the rule for creating .gmo files from the .po can be
> modified to run the conversion to UTF8 at the time the .gmo files are
> generated. Thus, translations won't be broken when installing sources
> from CVS.

The problem here are:

1.- A mantainer does always a cvs ci after a make dist so all .po files
are as UTF8 and then he will commit all files as UTF8 if she does not
take care of it.
2.- All people that wants to compile the module from CVS should had
gettext >= 0.11 to be able to compile it correctly.

IMHO is much more easy to recode a file at translation time than at
build time (but it's only my opinion).

Cheers.

P.S.: I will send an email to gnome2-release-team gnome org asking for a
final solution so please, send here all your arguments to let them
choose the best solution.