Re: What are the community's goals for 2.0? [was Re: Getting serious about releasing]

On 24 Apr 2002, Luis Villa wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 13:21, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > >    That block people from doing the final stabiliziation for a vendor
> > >    release until the upstream has said "this is it."
> > >
> > >    I don't think it's reasonable for Ximian/Sun to say "we will guarantee
> > >    that GNOME-2.0 is out by July". But once GNOME-2.0 is out, it's
> > >    much more reasonable to say "we will have a GNOME-2.0 based product
> > >    we feel comfortable shipping by July."
> > >

> > While I don't speak for Sun, I don't think Sun would say "we will
> > quarantee that GNOME-2.0 is out by July", and seeing Luis send out a
> > message from which such could be implied was quite suprising to me.
>
> My apologies; I thought it made it quite clear that this was a personal
> email, and apparently I did not. Again, apologies if I made this
> unclear- this is /definitely/ all with my 'community QA person' hat on
> and not a Ximian or Sun hat on.

Well, by handing out dates by which things will happen, and mentioning
company names you already introduce inherent bias. This doesn't magicly go
away by saying "hey, i'm just a freelance int his mail". You are also
handing out an implcit "we will keep up with the bug rate" certificate,
and that may or may not be true.

> That said- Sun has committed a huge amount of manpower between now and
> that date, the vast majority of which will be directed towards fixes
> that will immediately impact the community's codebase. I don't think it
> is unreasonable for the /community/ to wait for that work to be
> completed and take advantage of it for the community release.

Possibly - but they should have sufficent information for that decision,
not merely "there is a deadline here sun wants lots of bugs fixed". I
cannot give that information (all the pages read "proprietary. internal
use only"), and even if i could, it would only be an indication of
towards what people will be working, not a guarantee that that set of
things will get done.

> To put it another way: I don't personally believe that the 2.0.0 release
> that Havoc outlined will be good enough for any vendor to ship*.

"Any release gnome will ever put together will not be good enough for a
vendor to just ship" - appeared to be the consensus on GUADEC. It could
have been the people present had special high quality requirements in mind
(or didn't speak up), but the highest figure I heard was "95% there". Some
would call this the "code vs product" distinction.

> <b>If it isn't good enough for any vendor to ship, is it good enough for
> the community to ship? Or should the community have high/higher
> standards?</b>

A vendor will never ship what it gets - it will always throw its QA at the
problem, packport a couple of bugs that got fixed just after the release
and so on. This will be always true, no matter how hard you work or
how long you delay.

> I don't know the answer to that question, but it seems to be crucial,
> and the community has to decide on it. I /personally/ feel that if it
> isn't good enough for vendors it shouldn't be good enough for the
> community, but people have cited legitimate concerns in this thread
> about why maybe that shouldn't be the case.
>
> *This is based on my assessment of the quality of the codebase and the
> observed waiting periods of vendors in the past, /not/ inside knowledge
> of the distros' or Ximian's plans.
>
> Luis

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding