Re: What are the community's goals for 2.0? [was Re: Getting serious about releasing] (fwd)

I didn't see this message come through, so I'm resending. Hope this
doesn't get posted twice.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:10:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alex Larsson <alexl redhat com>
To: Luis Villa <louie ximian com>
Cc: gnome-hackers gnome org
Subject: Re: What are the community's goals for 2.0? [was Re: Getting
    serious about releasing]

On 24 Apr 2002, Luis Villa wrote:

> We have two options right now:
>
> 	(1) a 2.0.0 that has no major, individually embarassing bugs, 	but a
> huge collection of bugs that make the overall level of quality
> 	embarassing, but it Works For Us.
>
> 	(2) waiting and having a 2.0.0 that is completely free of highly
> 	embarassing bugs and has a very small number of bad bugs. It 	Works For
> People Who Are Not Us.

I think this is a highly biased description of our options. Let me give
you the opposite view (note: It's not my personal belief that either of
these views are correct).

We have two options right now:

(1) a 2.0.0 that has no major, individually embarrasing bugs, is basically
stable but has a large collection of small bugs (many of which were even
in Gnome 1.4). A user can use this desktop and mostly get his work done.

(2) We postpone 2.0.0 indefinately, waiting for "all the bugs to get
fixed". But nobody is interested in working on the boring blocker bugs
(after all, gweather was broken since 1.0, why should I care about it
now). We slowly slip our release dates, eventually past the next Mandrake
(insert random distro here) internal feature freeze date. They take a look
at gnome 1.4 (latest stable), compare it to KDE 3.1 (KDE is good at doing
regular stable releases), laugh and decide to drop gnome support. After
the first distro drops gnome everyone else soon follows suit. No users
see the new gnome code, so everyone assumes it's a stagnant project. Gnome
becomes a footnote in the annals of history. RIP.

See the difference?

Anyway. Personally I don't think May 22 is quite possible. And I'm willing
to delay it a bit to stabelize the release. But I strongly belive that we
must be punting feature requests, drop broken features that nobody is
actively fixing, and punt non-crasher bugs in non-critical components.

Not delivering a stable release can hurt us very badly. Remember, there
will be more releases. This one doesn't have to be everything to everyone.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a globe-trotting dishevelled cat burglar searching for his wife's true
killer. She's a cosmopolitan tempestuous lawyer in the witness protection
program. They fight crime!