Re: What are the community's goals for 2.0? [was Re: Getting serious about releasing]

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 09:17, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> [If the main idea behind this has already been discussed, pay no attention
> -- I didn't really track GNOME2 lately]
>
> So what happened to the original idea of having a Core Library release? We
> have all the paralell-installability(?) stuff worked out for the GNOME 2
> libraries (right?) so we could just release the core libs, right? Core
> libs as in (off the top of my head) Bonobo, GConf, libgnome* and GnomeVFS.

The original idea (as I understand it) was to call it a developer
release, but that included all kinds of non-developer stuff. It is my
humble opinion that as long we include nautilus, panel, control-center,
and sawfish, we can print DEVELOPER RELEASE on the foreheads of every
user and they are still going to think of it as a desktop release.

So... maybe the solution is to freeze/release the libraries very
shortly, make those a 'real' 2.0 developer release (i.e.,
libraries/daemons /only/), and say 'we'll release the desktop apps based
on those libraries/APIs/versions when they're ready'?

Luis