Re: What are the community's goals for 2.0? [was Re: Getting serious about releasing]

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Dick Porter wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 01:10:03AM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> > > So, if you think a bug I listed should really not be punted, either a)
> > > fix it right away b) suggest a bug that I have as not puntable that
> > > you'd punt instead or c) have the guts to go ahead and argue for a
> > > September or later release. Please don't do c). ;-)
> >
> > I'm going to do (c). Sorry. :)
>
> I agree with Louie: we should release when the code is ready, unless of
> course there are _really_ pressing reasons for shipping bugs.

Do we have a real reason to think the "code is ready" point will arrive?

> Would it satisfy the "release it now" lobby if we start naming the beta
> releases "Release Candidate", and API-freeze all included libraries? We
> can then:
>
> a) get some press attention now (and again later when we decide to call
>    it "ready" :) );
> b) avoid the negative aspects of releasing with hundreds of known bugs,
>    some serious, some easily fixed.  _I_ know it's going to be called a
>    developer release, but I doubt anyone installing it will think it is
>    anything less than an upgrade to 1.4; and

Hndreds is a bit incorrect - there is ~ 1200, but only a small percenatge
of them will pass a "we care about them for gnome 2.0" test.

> c) start encouraging third parties to port/develop GNOME 2 applications
>    while we're doing the final polishing.

Either it is ready for consumption by people who at the same time aren't
hacking on gnome itself (in which case we can release it) or it is not
ready for consumption of people whop are not hacking on gnome, in which
case we cannot tell them that it is good time to port.

> Please lets not repeat the 1.0 release.
>
> - Dick

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding