Re: Do we want comments on news items? [Was: content protest--correction]

<quote who="Owen Taylor">

>    And clearly getting a news-only replacement is vastly easier
>    than a news-and-comments replacement.

[ That would be kind of nice, yes. :) ]

> So, it wouldn't be a big loss either. Given infinite time, it might
> be nice to replace it with some sort of "letters to the webmaster"
> setup where people could send in:
>
>  - Suggestions
>  - "Way to go" messages
>  - Etc.
>
> With it being explicit that only a selection will be posted, that
> postings may be edited, etc. But that would clearly take both setup
> time and ongoing editorial work.

I like that, and I'd be happy to help with the editorial work. Not only is
it a more direct medium to the GNOME developer community [1], but it would
provide a good forum for the interview and discussion ideas that came up at
GUADEC. I really like this. "Letters to GNOME".

- Jeff

[1] Gnotices posts aren't always read and answered by hackers, but this kind
of editorialised thingamie would feel more personal (using names of writers
and hackers who answer), and we could have contributed answers from the
relevant hackers. Say someone asked a question about... The future of GConf.
The editor could ask Havoc to write up a quick answer; that's heaps better
than random discussion comments that get lost in time.

--
     GDK (acronym): GNU's Not Unix Image Manipulation Program Tool-Kit
                                Drawing-Kit.