Re: GtkHtml 1, 2 and 1->2

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:52:43AM -0400, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 08:04, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Marc had another look at this not too long ago and came away
> > with a more positive conclusion.  It may not be as clean to
> > make accessible as gtkhtml2, but "unfeasible" is probably not
> > a fair assessment, especially if Ximian has a strong interest
> > in having gtkhtml1 in the "core" rather than gtkhtml2.
>
> Yeah, Radek and Michael have been looking at it, and it doesn't look
> like an impossible task at all.
>
> Actually Radek is going to start working on the accessibility work real
> soon now.

  I still don't understand this attitude toward maintaining gtkhtml
even in the face of a number of problems when gtkhtml2 looks closer
from providing all the needed features. The editing part is the main
missing part, but contrary to gtkhtml gtkhtml2 was designed from the
start on an internal representation targetting edition, and in a clean
(i.e. with DOM semantic) way.
  I still remember the arguments from nearly 2 years ago when I asked
you to switch gtkhtml to rely on the libxml core. Contrary to bonobo
usage that was proper use of the toolkit, more precisely what the toolkit
was built to do. I doubt the argument about the size of an xmlNode would
still hold in the face of current setups. I do think not switching at
that time was a mistake, and that not switching now is again another
mistake. But since I won't maintain the HTML widget code my opinion is
just that, an opinion, but damn this is so broken !!!

Daniel