Required Skills: C/C++/Python/Gnome/KDE/Interface (and/or similar)

Date Posted: 2001-09-13
Location: Leicester, UK
Employment Type: Permanent
Job Length: Permanent
Salary: Appropriate

Send Resume to: ben at benlast.com

Job Description:
SleepyDog (SD) are a small intellectual property generation company who
do research into many hi-tech areas. Part of that research is in the
areas of user interface and computing environments. SD have a range of
material already developed which we want to:
* use to build demonstrations or working prototypes of these designs for
future interfaces & environments.
* make available to developer communities to stimulate debate on and
progress in interfaces & environments.

We're looking for a full time developer to join us, reporting to the
CTO. Your duties will include:
* research into practical and pragmatic ways of implementing interface
and human-computer-interaction (HCI) ideas.
* development of working prototypes of these, probably within Gnome or
KDE.
* liaison with the open-source development communities to share and
exchange ideas related to these areas.

You'll be:
* interested in HCI, interface and computing environments.
* experienced in writing code at some level, preferably including in C,
C++, Python or the like, definitely including a good understanding of
object-oriented development.
* aware of (and if possible involved in) open-source development.
* a self-starter who can contribute, communicate and participate in
discussions as a peer.
* able to work in the office in Leicester a minimum of three days per
week.
* able to work in an environment where the goals may not be fixed until
the first couple of iterations of code show what's possible.
* excited by the idea of trying to get to the next generation of
interfaces and environments rather than re-invent what's already been
done.
* a pragmatist who's interested in building real things, not endless
blue-sky discussions (though we have those too!).

You won't be:
* An open-source zealot. We don't need those.
* A programming-addicted recluse with no social skills.
* Inflexible, looking for a simple 9-5 where you don't feel any
involvement with the company.

You will be:
* paid appropriately!
* working with a small number of motivated, intelligent people who want
to do real things.

Contact for more information:

Ben Last
SleepyDog
35K Western Boulevard
Leicester, IN. UK
Phone: +44 7966 136572
Fax: +44 116 222 660
ben at benlast.com

--
Ben Last
CTO

You are encouraged to encrypt sensitive information when sending email.
GPG Key Fingerprint 61A9 C05A 47D4 04F6 6913  92C2 37E4 4DC0 21B5 8B88
GPG Public key available at http://www.hrsys.demon.co.uk/benlast.asc