Re: FW: Nautilus and Setup Tools

On Mon, 2001-10-29 at 09:00, Darin Adler wrote:
> From: "Toelen" <toelen pandora be>
> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 05:35:24 -0800
> To: <darin bentspoon com>
> Subject: Nautilus and Setup Tools
>
> Hi Darin,
>
> I am Leen Toelen, a belgian developer. Probably you aren't the best preson
> to ask this to, but I can't find another contact. Now I find 3 control
> panels in Gnome, Gnome Control Center, GConf and Ximian Setup Tools/Red
> Carpet.

Well, gconf is not a control pannel it is a backend for saving desktop
settings. The Ximian Setup Tools appear on the new control center, under
the "System" tab. Like such :

http://www.gnome.org/~chema/gnomecc_xst.png

We are close of stabilizing the new control center so that we can call
it stable, we are just adding a missing feature in the sound capplet
that users lost when moving from the old gnomecc.

But the question still stands, we have a nautilus view and a shell (the
one in the screenshot). If the user launches the control center and
nautilus is running, it will pop up the nautilus view of the control
center. The shell is just a backup for when the users are not/do not
want to use nautilus, but we still have not done this hack.

I want to make XST part of the core GNOME, but that is another story.
The thing is that some distros will not ship it but even then we should
do what we think is best for users, if distros want to remove
functionality of GNOME that is their call. Having a unified system
configuration is good.

> Are there any plans to:
> 1. Integrate these three into one program
> 2. Integrate the control center in Nautilus, so that you don't have to start
> another program.

see above.

regards,
Chema