Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule

> It is hard to port an application to a set of libraries that are
> not installed.  We can generate enough eye candy for the press with
> pango and other technologies.  Lets get the platform out there.
> Everyone can being taking _full_ advantage of the new features
> later.

But I, like other people said before, feel that "wow, it's antialiased,
and wow, if I was able to speak a langage that writes from the right to
left I'd be able to have the text go that way" isn't actually all that
interesting.

That is why I like my second option: Separate the platform from the
desktop release. Release the platform, maybe call it gnome-platform 2.0,
then wait a while for people to start porting all their applications[1]
to it, get some useful user visible changes[2] and then release
gnome-desktop 2.0. I just feel annoyed/upset/depressed that we have all
this rather cool technology, and when people ask what use it is, we can
say, "ummmm, nothing yet, but it WILL be cool". I keep feeling like an
apologetic, "yeah, this release isn't great or mind blowing, but the
next one...wow, it'll be special"

But, I guess it's too late for that.
iain

[1] I accept that things like Gnumeric won't be ported instantly and so
the number of great new features in it will probably be around 0 for a
while, but small programs, utilities and the like could have *something*
to make them different.
[2] I'm not talking about eye candy, ohh aatext stuff. I'm talking about
"Oh, a CD player that doesn't suck ass" or "Oh, gnome-stones isn't slow"
or "Oh, you can print from gdict now[3]"
[3] I should add this to the list of things to be added. Shouldn't be
too much really.

--
"It isn't rebels who cause the troubles of the world,
it's the troubles that cause the rebels." - Carl Oglesby