Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On 10Oct2001 01:41PM (-0400), Iain wrote:
> >
> > > 	* sawfish
> > > 	* nautilus
> > > 	* control center
> > > 	* non-deprectaed parts of gnome-core, gnome-utils and
> > > 	  gnome-applets
> > >
> > > And the g-c, g-u and g-a very definately need a good "is this part merely
> > > completely made of crack or does it actually contain something useful"
> > > lookover. A good deal of their contents definately isn't.
> >
> > (Try 2: My first try was too depressing to finish :)
> >
> > gnome-utils needs made useful. Can we add gnome-games and gnome-media
> > into the list as well?
>
> I'm all for crack removal.

I'll second that...no more crack!

> > We need something like
> > http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.0-features.html
> > SOON! (sorry to keep bitching about this, but as dot.kde.org says "With
> > the Qt port out of the way, the KDE developers can now focus on the
> > planned KDE improvements."
>
> One difference is that we do not yet have the Gtk (and other
> underlying libraries) port out of the way yet. What we should learn
> from KDE is that we need to get that done ASAP if there is to be time
> for new features.

Yes.  There are many, many things we'd all like to see done to improve GNOME,
but I agree that the right approach is to release GNOME 2 in the current
schedule, which basically means, port.  The good news is that there is no
reason in the world we can't release a new version of GNOME (2.0.1 or even
2.2) relatively soon after 2.0.  Shorter release cycles would be good, I
think.

> That being said, it would be good to collect a list of the features we
> already know we will have, based on what has been done in the base
> libraries.

Absolutely.  It's often very small things, such as the default look and feel
that add so much polish to a release.  There are a lot of user-visible things
we can do that don't take a lot of work, some of which have already been done.

name:    Jamin Philip Gray
email:   jgray writeme com
icq:     1361499
aim:     jamingray47
web:     http://DoLinux.dyn.dhs.org

If you're going to walk on thin ice you may as well dance.