Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2001/10/06

Minutes of the GNOME 2.0 Release Team Meeting - 2001/10/06

  I was going to keep publishing these on Monday evenings to give some
  opportunity for the release team to comment on them, but it seems that
  posting them pronto is better than waiting for no comments. :) You'll see
  them quite soon after our Friday meetings in future - Jeff

Present:

  John Fleck
  Karl Gaffney
  Jody Goldberg
  Jamin P. Gray
  Telsa Gwynne
  Gregory Leblanc
  Seth Nickell
  Sander Vesik
  Jeff Waugh (chair, minutes)

Regrets:

  Kjartan Maraas
  Maciej Stachowiak

Missing:

  Michael Meeks

Actions
=======

  PENDING: Announce schedule + website very early next week
   => Jeff, Telsa and Maciej to publish

  PENDING: Core packages proposal and discussion
   => Sander to resend email if not already on the list

  PENDING: Telsa's bugzilla documentation & MUSTFIX guide
   => In CVS and on list by Sunday

  PENDING: John to talk to Jeff & Dan Mueth about d.g.o status.

  ACTION: Sander to check on Sun's autobuild - public packages or status

  ACTION: Greg to contact mirror admins re: round robin FTP setup and push
    mirroring.

  ACTION: Everyone to contact local mirror admin and help establish new GNOME
    FTP mirrors.

Previous Actions
================

  DONE: Greg to talk to Ximian about packaging infrastructure
   => They're doing G2 nightly builds now

  DONE: Telsa & John to ask Alan, Glynn and Malcolm about porting guide
   => Being written as we speak

  DONE: John to check status of API docs, bug hackers and work out date for
    documentation freeze

Decisions & Discussions
=======================

- Jeff and Maciej should work together to publish the schedule and have it
  up on the website, Telsa will post the last agreed schedule to g2rt.

- Sander suggests small modification due to delay of the platform alpha.

- Jacob is doing G2 autobuilds nightly basis for Red Hat, thus far no
  results or status.

- Sun has nightly builds too, so Sander is going to check if they can be
  made public.

- Porting guide is underway! Malcolm is compiling it, but has been sick (get
  well soon, Malcolm!) Alan and Glynn supporting with their notes and
  experiences.

- Michael Meeks providing his GAL porting notes.

- John checked the status of the API and porting docs. Only a handful have
  porting info, some have API docs of varying quality.

- Beta 1 sounds right for a developer documentation freeze date.

- Seth commented that many developers aren't familar with docbook, and would
  need a hand getting started. gtk-doc documentation and templates should
  help; there are a lively bunch in #docs who are willing to help 'all
  around the clock' (jfleck).

- Announcements should be written and casually agreed to before release is
  made. This will help with clarity and intent.

- Maintainers have to be hassled sooner about releases; this will be far
  easier with a published schedule.

- Maintainer uploads to 'latest/sources', G2RT will manage a separate
  release tree to keep packages in line.

- Greg is looking into the push FTP stuff; we need to have releases on
  mirrors before announcements are made. It would be good to have this for
  general package announcements too.

--
   "I believe in true love. But I am easily satisfied." - Miguel de Icaza