Re: [Usability] Ordering thread relit; visual cues

On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 20:06, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="jacob berkman">
>
> > the problem is that the dialogs are too similar to the old ones - there
> > is not enough visual queue that these dialogs have a different button
> > layout than the gnome 1 ones.  on a mac the button ordering doesn't seem
> > to throw me off, as i am already disoriented.
>
> This, I think, is the problem that needs dealing with. Better highlighting
> for the default button will fix this in most cases - the Raleigh default
> highlight is just a indent.

it's not the highlight - i clicked the button before i could read the
dialog.

> > with the fact that all of our installed base and the majority of desktop
> > users throughout the world have the ordering the other way, i think this
> > is a mistake.
> >
> > we are not out to create a utopian desktop environment with everything
> > done perfectly.  if we were, we would probably not be using unix, c, x,
> > etc.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to do a bit of repair work on the highlighting than
> 'throw the baby out with the bathwater'?

if the highlighting is indeed the problem, which i argue that it isn't.

> > (and isn't the no / cancel option quite often the default / preferred
> > action?  this change boinks that.)
>
> Not really; I raised this earlier (as it's not explicitly mentioned in the
> dialogue proposal). The default can be any one of the buttons, we just have
> the consistency of the right hand one being the affirmative verb.

so i will now argue that the negative case should be in the lower right,
as that is usually the safest option.

jacob
--
"Beat mixing is 10000 times more fun than even video games."
	-- bt