Ordering thread relit; visual cues

<quote who="jacob berkman">

> the problem is that the dialogs are too similar to the old ones - there
> is not enough visual queue that these dialogs have a different button
> layout than the gnome 1 ones.  on a mac the button ordering doesn't seem
> to throw me off, as i am already disoriented.

This, I think, is the problem that needs dealing with. Better highlighting
for the default button will fix this in most cases - the Raleigh default
highlight is just a indent.

> what is worse is that when you use GnomeMessageBox, you get the gnome 1
> behaviour as well!!

Eeek. :)

> with the fact that all of our installed base and the majority of desktop
> users throughout the world have the ordering the other way, i think this
> is a mistake.
>
> we are not out to create a utopian desktop environment with everything
> done perfectly.  if we were, we would probably not be using unix, c, x,
> etc.

Wouldn't it be better to do a bit of repair work on the highlighting than
'throw the baby out with the bathwater'?

> (and isn't the no / cancel option quite often the default / preferred
> action?  this change boinks that.)

Not really; I raised this earlier (as it's not explicitly mentioned in the
dialogue proposal). The default can be any one of the buttons, we just have
the consistency of the right hand one being the affirmative verb.

Any ideas on how to fix the visual cue problem?

- Jeff

--
   "I don't know whose brain child it was, but it's quite an ugly child,"
                                  he said.