Re: what's happening to Nautilus, other packages (Eazel)

On 15 May 2001 20:13:10 -0700, Seth Nickell wrote:
> And while we're on the subject, I've been working on trying to make
> GnomeVFS more usable by programs other than Nautilus, so if any
> application developers have suggestions or issues they ran into I'd
> appreciate notification now. I've gotten some good feedback from Chema,
> but that's it. Really I want to know about anything that would make it
> easier for you to use GnomeVFS.

I talked about this with Seth on irc, but it might make sense to poke
about it here too. So the issue is this:

	Joe* makes a cool nautilus theme, so his desktop looks very 	nice. Joe
is happy.

Joe also uses Evolution, and his attachments in evolution are (as far as
I understand) being handled by gnome-vfs. But Joe doesn't understand why
his cool theme is not showing up here?

So the MIME-type icons that are in the Nautilus theme should be somehow
global. If a person uses a theme, it should be used everywhere.

I dont have a clue how to do it, but from what I understand Seth is
working on this too. Please think about this for a moment. I am sure you
are better than me in solving the problem :-)

This is not a "FIX IT NOW!" -demand, just a scenario to show a problem
with the current implementation.

Enjoy the spring!

Tuomas

* The name(s) have changed to protect the innocent. Any resemblance to
real-world persons is purely coincidental.

> -Seth
>
> On 15 May 2001 19:09:20 -0700, Ian McKellar wrote:
> > On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 04:33:14PM -0700, Darin Adler wrote:
> > > 	gnome-vfs -- Ian McKellar <yakk yakk net> is going to take over as
> > > gnome-vfs maintainer. The good news is that gnome-vfs is already working
> > > as part of the GNOME 2 platform. Short term priorities for gnome-vfs
> > > include filling out the documentation for programmers and finishing a new
> > > API for handling authentication (done by Mike Fleming). I'd also like to
> > > see a Samba module and an ssh module to fill out the kinds of file systems
> > > that gnome-vfs works with, but we don't have any volunteers for that yet.
> >
> > Right now I'm hacking on SSL support and a couple of other things to let
> > people use gnome-vfs as the best backend for all browser-type applications.
> > I've got some other ideas my sleeve for the GNOME 2.0 time-frame that I
> > can't think of right now ;-)
> >
> > Let me know if you've got some ideas for what we can do to make gnome-vfs
> > better.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ian

|  Tuomas Kuosmanen  |  Ximian  |  Art Director  |
|  tigert ximian com |  www.ximian.com           |