Re: API docs [ was Re: gnome-vfs 1.0.1 is available ]

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 03:31:36PM +0100, Joel Becker wrote:
> 	Well, I don't know how people would react to frames, nor do I
> know if DocBook/Jade can generate them, but I find the frameset around
> the Java API really useful.
It's tricky to get bookmarks working right with frames, but it can
be done, with a whole new frameset for each document.

> 	I just don't quite go with the pink + red + black + whatever
> look our current style set has.  It's, um, jarring.  The tables could be
> bordered nicely too.  It's not that 'prettiness' is all that a doc set
> should have, but it makes it more readable and scanable visually.

As a typographer, I agree.  But then, the API documentation I designed
was formatted very unconventionally (are you surprised?) :)  PDF sample at
http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/lq-text/documentation/lqetxtt1-16api.pdf
but most of the navigation info is missing, and it was made for print.

Maybe I can help if people are interested in changing the layout.  This
is also something that benefits a lot from user testing, of course.

For my part I am glad that the API reference is there at all.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org