Re: galf once more: application launch feedback

Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:
> It would be nice if remotely launched apps also managed to use the
> application launch feedback mechanism. Using CORBA seems to be one
> possible way to accomplish this. Perhaps the best approach would be to
> have a library that hides the CORBA from the application programmer,
> though.

X is certainly the easiest way to handle remote apps, since
you know the set of apps that can be launched on this display is the
set of apps that you can properly provide feedback for. CORBA may
encounter firewall settings, etc. that the X connection does not.

Really this whole thread and the feedback mechanism should be
discussed on xdg-list freedesktop org though (before it was on
wm-spec-list, which was slightly off but still better than
gnome-hackers).

Whatever mechanism needs to be acceptable to at minimum the Qt people
to add to Qt. So, I'm guessing that rules out CORBA from the start.  I
don't think the wm-spec-list thread was considering CORBA for that
reason.

This is a trivial problem. It does not need a sledgehammer, and the
details don't matter that much. Just pick something that's easy and
uncontroversial for any toolkit to implement, write it down in detail,
post it to xdg-list, incorporate feedback, and let's go with it.

Havoc